IELTS academic reading – how to score above 6 band
How to score over 6 band in IELTS Academic reading task
Before we begin to attempt the IELTS academic reading strategies, let us understand the score.
Most IELTS reading modules would have 3 passages to read from and answer questions such as
1. Choose the correct answer from a, b, c or d.
2. Fill the gaps with a word or two
3. Match the headings with paragraphs in the given passage.
You would have to get at least 70% of the answers correct to be safely over band 6 in IELTS reading task.
The main problem that candidates usually face is the time limit of 60 min. Here are some easy strategies to help you overcome the time barrier.
5 simple and highly effective tips to score higher on IELTS reading task
1. Read the entire passage in 5 to 6 minutes.
2. Read intensely, concentrate and understand the content well. Memory is a problem for many so dont try to remember and then attempt to answer. read once to clearly and broadly get the idea.
3. Read the questions well and scan the text to find relevant answers.
4.Most importantly underline the answers in the passage for every question you answer this way you don’t have to go back and forth with the text. If you get a similar question you could get the answer quickly.
5. Write your answers down as you get them on the answer sheet. No separate time is given to transfer the answers from the question booklet.